AR 10 is one of the popular gun that has proven a hit among big game hunters. The good thing about AR 10 is that it accepts modern bullets. It is accurate and has minimal recoil to the user. Its weight is one competitive aspect of the gun, and you as a hunter will adore it if you already haven’t. This brilliantly designed gun needs a good scope to complement its capability. The best scope for AR 10 needs to have several qualities to up your hunting skills.
Having the right scope helps you as a hunter to zoom over longer distances and make accurate shots. If you are a gun enthusiast, a scope is one thing that will make your target practice more enjoyable. If the subject of scopes is foreign to you, then the following guide will help you select the best one for your gun.
- 1 Top 5 Best Scope For AR 10 Rifle
- 2 What to look for in an AR 10 rifle scope
- 3 AR 10 scope recommendation
- 4 Conclusion
Top 5 Best Scope For AR 10 Rifle
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
|Image||Scope Model||Editor's Rating||Price||Review|
|UTG BugBuster Scope||5.00|
|UTG 3 Compact Scope||4.50|
|Bushnell AR Optics BTR-1||5.00|
|Nikon ProStaff 4||5.00|
|Vortex Optics StrikeFire 2||5.00|
UTG 3 BugBuster Scope
UTG is a well-known company that deals with firearms accessories. Essentially, the organization has a long history in the market. It was a miss in some of their earlier product such as the handguns. However, they are now producing high quality products, and Bug Buster Scope is a testament to this.
This scope has some strong points such as durability. The bug buster scope is one of the most compact for AR 10. Some of its features include.
- The elements that go into the building of this scope are high quality.
- In terms of durability, BugBuster scope is shockproof, fog proof and water proof.
- Has eye relief that is accommodating.
- Completely sealed for optimum strength.
- The lens coating is emerald.
- It includes sunshade for antiglare.
- The user can choose either green or red dots.
- The scope is great for any level of the user.
- You can effortlessly mount it on any caliber of rifle.
- The emerald coating ensures that you can use the scope in any lighting conditions. The good thing about the coat is that it duplicates the already minimal light for optimal visibility.
- It is also customizable, and it only takes one click on the adjustments.
- In comparison to others and with the features it has, Bug Buster Scope’s price is favorable.
- The scope has Quick Detach rings which are a plus for most users.
- The scope has a detailed mounting. This means that you may need a hand to mount the scope after purchase.
- The objective is relatively lower.
- The power scope is also low.
UTG 3 Compact Scope
The Compact Scope is another signature UTG product. In comparison to Bug Buster, the product is more expensive.
- Durable and reliable.
- Has lens covers that can flip open.
- Customizable reticle with up to 36 varying colors.
- Specialized lens housings.
- Is Nitrogen-filled and sealed. It is waterproof, fog proof and shockproof.
- It is versatile you can use it to shoot in a harsh environment.
- Lens covers protect the lens.
- Has an excellent field of view.
- The scope contains an excellent field of view which you can use even under recoil.
- Has a lifetime warranty.
- It is not customizable in the field, and any adjustments should be done earlier on.
Bushnell Optics BTR-1
Bushnell is also a well-known company when it comes to optics. Bushnell is one organization that will stand with their work. You are hence confident of getting the best in the market. Bushnell will also fix any defect that you may find, and some cases replace your product with another one.
- Bushnell Optics FFP is fully multi-coated.
- High-durable aluminum is protecting the scope from the elements.
- Has an adjustment that is 1 mil click.
- 30 mm tube diameter.
- Matte finishing.
- 3.6 inches’ eye relief.
- The sealing of O-rings is perfect to prevent the entry of dust and moisture.
- It is scratchproof, as well as, rustproof.
- It is quite outstanding in performance, especially in low lighting.
- Fully multicoated which ensures incredible vision.
- Has a quick-adjust bar that makes it possible for you to quickly change magnification.
- The price is reasonable given the optics and other capabilities.
- Shipping is only within the US.
- When it comes to the bright lights, the scopes illumination may not be that good.
- Due to the huge ocular bell, the product is heavy for some people.
Nikon ProStaff 4
Nikon is one of the best organizations when it comes to optical equipment. Their level of commitment to quality is high. Additionally, their performance rates are excellent. Nikon ProStaff and Nikon m-308 tactical scope is a testament to this excellence. The latter is the best scope for 308 tactical.
The following features make Nikon ProStaff best scope for AR 10 carbine.
- Multicoated optical.
- A versatile magnification range of 4 to 12 times.
- Able to transmit up to 98 of light.
- 3.7 inches’ eye relief.
- The Nikon Prostaff has a generous eye relief that keeps you safe from the heaviest of recoils.
- The click adjustments are quite precise.
- Positive-click adjustments that enable you to quickly zero in even in the heaviest of recoils.
- Has a circle which allows you to easily use it for long range shooting.
- It is waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof.
- Good in low lighting conditions.
- The price is also relatively fair given the product specifications and ease of use.
- Works perfectly well with cartridges with heavy recoil.
- With this Nikon scope, you will find that it helps in swift target acquisition and so it is the best scope of AR 10 for hunting.
- You will find that the scope is mostly good for mid to long ranges. However, for short ranges, you may notice that it is hard to use. However, this is not a problem for the experts.
Vortex Optics StrikeFire 2
If your friends have finally gotten to you with their hunting antics and you want to try out, then Vortex Strikefire is the best scope for AR 10. Even though its pricing is a bit on the high side, beginners will find it gentle on skills. It is easy to set up and use.
- Has a green or red dot reticle.
- Multi-coated lens.
- Has unlimited eye-relief.
- Ring mount is a cantilever.
- Easy to understand.
- Easy to use.
- Dot on the target is of high quality.
- Has sufficient battery life.
- It not sufficiently waterproof.
- The lens caps are permanent, and it may be a problem if they malfunction.
- Based on the mounting rails it uses, the scope can be quiet heavy.
What to look for in an AR 10 rifle scope
Several factors will determine your success as a hunter. Among them is the type of scope mounted on your rifle. Therefore, take care when choosing scopes.
The number of available options available in the market is quite significant, and that may overwhelm you greatly. Furthermore, the jargon associated with it is another pain in the neck especially if you are a rookie in that area.
The following guide will assist you to sort through the confusion and acquire the right one for you. Scopes in the market have varying characteristics. As such, it is best to know what you should be looking for.
The first thing that you need to consider when choosing scopes is the optical power. The level of a scopes magnification determines its usefulness. A person that can shoot over 500 yards would be substantially underequipped with 4x kind of scope.
For every rifle user, optimal magnification is the ultimate goal depending on the kind of task you are undertaking. However, always remember that lower levels of magnification such as 6x are appropriate for target tracking and intuitive shooting. A better magnification scope such as 32x will give you a greater resolution. However, they are bigger and heavier, and you might find them challenging to use. They require certain position techniques and also have a steep price tag.
Weight is another critical element that you will want to determine. Always remember that the better the magnification, the heavier the scope. Higher magnifications always come with longer tubes and bigger lens which all add to the weight of the scope.
The weight of the scope can determine the accuracy of the rifle. Therefore, be careful when choosing the best scope for AR 10. The simplest approach to make the best decision is to decide for what purpose you are going to use a rifle.
Your biggest challenge now is figuring out which weight is appropriate. Apparently, the less the weight, the better it is. But let the purpose of which you are going to use the rifle serve as your guide.
The length of the scope
If the scope is not going to fit your mount, then there is no need having it. It is worthless and as it would be difficult to use it. Make sure that the total length of the scope is consistent with the overall length of your rifle.
As you decide on the weight, then let the length also guide you before you rush to purchase a particular scope.
Don’t forget to include any other accessories that come with the scope to the total length. For example, scope caps, objective lens and flash hiders and others.
The diameter of the tube
The tube links the objective bell with the eyepiece. The tube includes the prism and other essential illumination tools of a particular scope. Some of the scopes with higher levels of light transmission and clarity are heavier and costly.
Furthermore, with this kind of scopes, the mounting is greater and can make your rifle unwieldy. However, if the price is not a factor for you and the weight does not matter, then go for it.
The crosshairs that help you align your rifle with what you want to shoot are the reticles. Reticles are quite numerous, and their design is usually constituent with the purpose. If you pick fancy reticles, then it may be challenging for you to use them under stress conditions. Specialized reticles need lots of practice to enhance accuracy.
One of the well-known and essential reticles are the duplex reticles. The reticle comes with a simple cross that allows you to swiftly acquire your target. However, there are still other categories of duplex reticles.
One of them is the long distance reticles with the same functionality as the simple duplex reticle. However, they have different marks and rings for varying distances.
The simplicity that comes with duplex reticles is that they will allow you to quickly determine the range that you require to execute the shot.
Another common type of reticle is mildot. While the mildot will offer you the same functionality as the duplex reticles, they are better. Mildot reticles have horizontal rungs for better precision. This characteristic proves necessary when following a moving target. Essentially, you can quickly determine the speed of the target and adjust accordingly.
The RDC reticle has the same characteristics as the long range duplex. However, RDC has more detail on its distance rings. In actual sense, the RDC reticle is more robust for tactical activities.
Whichever type of reticle you choose, make sure that it is appropriate both in terms of budget and usability.
The transmission of light
The amount of light that goes through the scope to your eye is the light transmission. Mainly, the more the light transmission, the better. The latest models scopes offer better amounts of light and filters that allow the visibility of the important colors.
The objective bells that are large are better in gathering light than the smaller ones. If you are confident that you will be using your rifle in bad lighting conditions, then choose the scope with large objective bells. They will allow more light for better visibility.
Eye relief is usually the gap between your eye and the eyepiece. This distance is crucial as it determines whether you see your target well or not.
Another reason why you should consider the eye relief is for your safety. Different rifles have different rates of recoil. Therefore, find out whether the scope you are picking has adequate eye relief for your gun. You will not want to risk injuring your eye or face in the name of an extracurricular activity.
Four inches is the largest eye relief in the market at the moment. Four inches is without a doubt a safe distance for you. Most of the common riflescopes have up to three inches’ eye relief. If you own a slug gun, then the 3 inches may not be enough you. Go for bigger eye relief, and you will not regret having hunting as a hobby.
If apart from AR 10, you own a shotgun or a muzzleloader type of rifles, then be careful. Your first option eye relief should be about 6 inches. Unfortunately, this is considerable distance and will be at the expense of the field of view.
The Immediate Eye Relief scope is appropriate for long guns. They need up to 12 inches of relief. Hand guns need bigger eye relief because of their significant recoil. It is usually up to 16 inches.
When it’s time to mount your scope, make sure it is in a position where your neck and head are comfortable. Mount your scope in a way that you will not have to constantly move your head to reach the eye relief.
You can never buy a riflescope without considering the adjustment utility that comes with it. For simple activities like coon hunting, large turrets, windage or elevation is not of much importance.
Another critical point to note is that your adjustment should be consistent with other optics such as MILs or MOA. If you are a small time hunter, you should shy away from scopes that have large adjustment knobs. They get caught on vines, branches, and sticks and can be a pain in the neck. However, they are a darling when it comes to competitions. Let the purpose of which you will be using your AR 1o guide you when selecting the most appropriate scope for your needs.
Field of view
Another thing that you should consider before acquiring the best scope for AR 10 is the field of view. The field of view is what you can see through the scope. Low magnification scopes with big exit pupils have a large field of view.
The exit pupils of specialized rifles are smaller and will allow you to see much detail over longer distances. However, keep in mind that a larger field of view is not such a bad thing. It will help you with situational awareness especially when you are on a hunting expedition.
For most people, parallax is not easy to understand. However, it is when the crosshairs in your scope seem to move when you nod your head slightly. Parallax occurs when your scope is not able to able focus on the target in the right manner.
Some of the low-priced scopes are designed to be free of parallax up to a particular distance. That means that they will not have the ability to correct for parallax below this set range. This is not an obstacle at all with these low magnification scopes as any parallax will be too minor to matter.
However, higher magnification scopes need adjustment. You will find the knob to adjust for parallax just across the windage turret. To make sure that you adequately correct the parallax, look through the scope and nod your head while holding your rifle steady. The shift hairs should not be moving position on the target.
The coating of the lens
The lens is probably another thing that you should look for. The primary role of the coating is to filter out light and ensure your magnification is quite clear. The rate at which new designs are coming out is high. You will find that every maker does it differently. Regardless, remember to choose the “fully multi-coated.”
What this implies is that the lens has the capability to pick all the light colors. Therefore, they will prove useful in all lighting conditions. While technology is continuously changing making one product better than the previous one, one thing will remain constant. That is full multi-coating.
The price of the scope and how much you are able and willing to pay are important determinants. You must figure out what you are going to use your rifle for and then move from there. It would be useless to acquire an expensive scope that will prove challenging for you to wield and use.
Finally, purchasing the scope is one thing and mounting it is another. If you have no idea how to go about it, then budgeting for a gunsmith to do it for you will be the best thing.
Most products these days come with a warranty. If your vendor is selling you a scope that does not have a warranty, then it is probably fake. In such a case you should trend carefully. Even though the firearms industry in America is the best and may not need a warranty, it is always sound to be on the safe side.
Take note of the warranty terms and determine what it covers and what it does not.
AR 10 scope recommendation
Among the five reviewed products, Nikon ProStaff is one that is perfect for your AR 10. For one, the scope has a fair price, is durable and is of exceptional quality. If hunting is your thing, you will find this scope as a perfect companion for its exceptionally clear pictures over long distances. Furthermore, its magnification range and field of view will allow to you the flexibility to use it in any situation. Whether you are in foggy grasslands or misty forest, this scope will be a plus to use with your AR 10.
Various factors go into deciding the best scope for AR 10. Among them is the magnification, parallax and field of view among others are what you should consider. If you are a hunter or in a competition, the best AR 10 Scope is Nikon ProStaff. It is easy to use for all levels. However, let this not limit you. Find that which suits your needs and have fun.